Friday 29 September 2017

Lunar Engagement - Cerberus

Planet: Cerberus.
Region: Cerberus sector.

Death Guard vs Space Wolves.
1000 points.
Mission: Only War.
Deployment: Pitched Battle.

Following the arrival of the Death Guard reinforcements from the Scourge Stars, Guilliman's assault upon the Chaos strong point of Cerberus had begun to bog down into a drawn out stalemate. Other space marine commanders requested that they consolidate control on other targets in the system, regroup and then strike harder at the final prize, Cerberus itself.

Harald Deathwolf volunteered to lead a small strike against the small Death Guard held outpost upon Cerberus III's moon. Upon that almost airless moon the two war bands clashed for dominance.

This match up was a friendly game to teach my friend Jason how to play 8th. He had played a lot of the previous editions but this was first go at the new one. With that in mind we went with the basic Only War mission and played across table for ease. The mission objective rolled was 1 victory point for each objective held plus 3 for the war lord.

My Death Guard achieved the first turn and Jason failed to seize the initiative. During our deployment Jason had set up a long fangs squad facing my right flank and that was a concern for me so I set my defiler that side in hopes of taking out a few with the battle cannon. What actually happened was the defiler decimated the entire squad leaving me without much in the way of targets on that flank and I had to swiftly adapt. I felt bad because Jason's dice just did not want to know. So many rolls and re-rolls were 1's and 2's.

Jason's first turn was more about moving his forces forward. Specifically his large pack of fenrisian wolves who swiftly got into combat with one of my rhinos. They would spend the rest of the game tearing it apart but it meant they were not a concern. His blood claws shooting was quite accurate I started losing a few models. Disgustingly resilience was not my friend this game.

Turn two and I flew my bloat drone closer shrouded by flies summoned by my plagucaster. I also made sure that the defiler moved towards my left flank to intercept his thunderwolf cavalry and Harald Deathwolf. I used one of the new Death Guard strategems to allow the defiler to fire it's weapons as though they hadn't moved. The battle cannon blowing one cavalry model away. On Jason's turn his razorback was able to score two lascannon hits on the bloatdrone leaving it on one wound! He chose not to assault the defiler with his cavalry due to the distance.

Turn three and combat was joined. I made sure that my defiler could get into assault easily. It tore through most of his remaining cavalry, leaving just one rider and Harald. At which point I kicked myself because if I had focused on Harald I might have killed him and gained 3 victory points! Jason did score a few wounds on the defiler but nothing to effect it's combat expertise.

Turn four was the last for us as we were getting close to the venue close up. Once the bloat drone got within range of his marines it was next to useless. Too damaged to do anything which was a little disappointing. This time the defiler focused everything on Haraldm, dropping him to one wound! On Jason's turn he took out the bloat drone which did explode taking out one space wolf and scratched the paintwork on his razorback. On my left flank the fenrisian wolves finally destroyed the rhino. Im played another Death Guard strategem to cause it to automatically explode. Three wolves were killed and by sheer luck one mortal wound went on to Harald taking him out of the fight! Yay!

At the end of that round I was holding two objectives and I had warlord kill. Jason was only holding one objective so victory went to the Death Guard 5 to 1. A good game as always with Jason. I felt a little bit bad because I had a fully fledged codex versus his index but I don't think I used anything too nasty and I hope he enjoyed the game.

---

Due to the flow of the game I was not really able to utilize my plaguecaster as I wanted. The cultists did very little but I had them purely for the job of holding an objective in my deployment zone and they did that job. The defiler was my model of the match this time around and made me proud.

---



++ Patrol Detachment (Chaos - Death Guard) [56 PL, 999pts] ++

+ HQ +
Malignant Plaguecaster [6 PL, 110pts]: Curse of the Leper, Miasma of Pestilence, The Pandemic Staff

+ Troops +
Chaos Cultists [3 PL, 48pts]
. 9x Chaos Cultist w/ Autogun
. Chaos Cultist w/ special weapon: Heavy stubber
. Cultist Champion: Shotgun

Plague Marines [10 PL, 185pts]
. Plague Champion: Plaguesword, Plasma gun, Power fist
. 4x Plague Marine w/ boltgun
. Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun
. Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun

Plague Marines [10 PL, 173pts]
. Plague Champion: Plaguesword, Plasma gun, Power fist
. 5x Plague Marine w/ boltgun
. Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Blight launcher

+ Fast Attack +
Foetid Bloat-drone [8 PL, 158pts]: 2x Plaguespitters, Plague probe

+ Heavy Support +
Defiler [11 PL, 181pts]: Combi-bolter, Defiler scourge, Reaper autocannon

+ Dedicated Transport +
Chaos Rhino [4 PL, 72pts]: Combi-bolter
Chaos Rhino [4 PL, 72pts]: Combi-bolter


Bloat Drone drifts towards the enemy.

Thunderwolf Cavalry charges into battle.

Brutal battle with my Defiler.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Crusade Battles catchup

 It's been a few weeks since I last updated and in that time I have played a further three Crusade games. I am really enjoying playing C...