Saturday 23 September 2017

Drukhari Ambush - Miridian

Planet: Miridian.
Region: Cadian sector.

Death Guard vs Drukhari
50 power level
Mission: No Mercy.
Deployment: Pitched Battle.

The Drukhari raiders fall back from the renewed Death Guard offensive. The ruins of Miridian go strangely silent in the green mists. Typhus delivers orders that his forces are to sweep the ruins and decimate any stragglers.
His own patrol soon comes under attack from an entrenched band of kabelites. Outgunned they fight on with the grim determination of their legion.

A nice small game against Gary D this week after my planned opponent had to bail. Gary brought his Drukhari out to play once more. This was also my first game with the new Death Guard codex so I was quite excited to see what my army could do now.

We decided on the night to play No Mercy and we rolled our deployment. When Gary started deploying a ravager and put two raiders in reserve I felt my shoulders slump. I wasn't sure that I had what I needed to take them down and fully expected them to destroy my predator first turn. I hoped to steal the initiative but it was not to be.

First turn he swooped in with the ravager and brought the raiders in on the opposing flank. Together knocked some wounds from my predator leaving it belching smoke. I advanced everything and used a new strategem to allow the predator to move and shoot. It took a couple wounds off the ravager but that was to be the last act it did.

With the predator destroyed fairly quickly, Gary turned his weapons on my plague marines. They soaked a few wounds but then they began to crumble. After a couple turns I had nothing of one squad. But luck was about to turn. My plaguecaster started to smite one ravager and a very lucky swipe with his stick sent it crashing into it's partner and exploding. Man of the match! Same turn Gary brought in a unit of scourges behind my lines only for them to be charged by my blightbringer who swiftly dished out psychic contagion with his relic bell.

On my left flank Typhus was marching his poxwalkers forwards all game. I had no idea what I was going to do with them so they simply acted as a shroud to protect him from incoming fire. They and Typhus charged the ravager eventually and Typhus cleaved it with a mighty swing from his manreaper. The remaining plague marines marched upon the ruin where the kabalite warriors and archon were cowardly hiding in. They slowly blasted the aliens away but despite knocking the shadow field from the archon, they were unable to kill him before the end of the game.

On the right flank it soon became a mosh with the warriors in the destroyed raider leaping into frenzied battle with my plaguecaster but a mixture of martial skills and new Nurgle psychic powers ensured that they did not survive. Then, between the plaguecaster and the blightbringer, they brought down the last raider although the plaguecaster died doing it.

The game ended turn 5 and when we counted up the victory points I amazingly ahead with 6 victory points to Gary's 2. For a list that I thought was not going to do well against what my opponent brought I was pleasantly surprised. As always though I kept forgetting that my opponent was using poisoned weapons so my high toughness was not useful and maybe I could have done something different to keep my marines alive. The new psychic powers however were really good and certainly helped me out a lot so I have nothing to complain about.

Unfortunately my camera phone died on me during the evening and I lost the photos of the game.


My list for the night was:

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Chaos - Death Guard) ++

+ HQ +

Malignant Plaguecaster: Curse of the Leper, Plague Wind

Typhus: Miasma of Pestilence, Putrescent Vitality.

+ Troops +

Plague Marines: Icon of Despair
. Plague Champion: Plaguesword
. . Power fist and Plasma gun: Plasma gun, Power fist
. Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun
. Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun
. 4x Plague Marines

Plague Marines: Icon of Despair
. Plague Champion: Plaguesword
. . Power fist and Plasma gun: Plasma gun, Power fist
. Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun
. Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Blight launcher
. 4x Plague Marines

Poxwalkers: 10x Poxwalker

+ Elites +

Noxious Blightbringer: Plasma pistol and Dolorous Knell.

+ Heavy Support +

Chaos Predator: Combi-flamer, Havoc launcher, Twin lascannon
. Two heavy bolters: 2x Heavy bolter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Crusade Battles catchup

 It's been a few weeks since I last updated and in that time I have played a further three Crusade games. I am really enjoying playing C...