Monday 18 September 2017

Holding Action - Cerberus

Planet: Cerberus.
Region: Cerberus Sector.

Death Guard vs Salamanders.
1500 points.
Mission: No Mercy - Fire and Fury.
Deployment: Spearhead Assault.

With the Death Guard in retreat things looked bleak for the sons of Mortarion. Then, when the Imperium was one step away from total victory three entire plague fleets translated in system from the Warp bringing much needed reinforcements for the Death Guard. When word of their arrival reached Typhus he ordered all forces to halt and prepare to repel the enemy.

A nice friendly game against Shadbolt. Last time he brought his Tyranids to bear but this time he had a nice force of Salamanders for me to crush. Shadbolt plays a good game so I was hoping that this match against the Salamanders wouldn't be quite so one sided as last time. I was not disappointed.

Shadbolt's choice of the Fire & Fury battle zone meant that I wouldn't be taking my heldrake even though I really wanted to play it again. Knowing he had a land raider redeemer in his collection instead made me include my renegade knight in the hopes that it could bring it down where little else I had to get to do so quickly enough. In the end he had taken a redemptor dreadnought instead. Phew.

Spearhead Assault was a nicely rolled deployment as it meant that I could get my poxwalkers at point and draw fire. Turn one that is exactly what Shadbolt did. I did not expect him to unload five or six squads worth of fire just to bring down 20 poxwalkers. He did not like my zombies one bit. It did leave Typhus out in the open however and I was forced to then catch him up with some plague marines marching down my right flank.

The renegade knight strode forward offering fire support for more plague marines and a handful of cultists. It knocked some wounds from the redemptor but little else. My first turn was pretty much just moving my units forward and hoping that they would survive to do something back.

This match was almost a week ago so some details are a little sketchy in my head. But what I remember was the knight and predator pouring everything they had into the redemptor. It eventually fell over (partly from a hit by falling debris) but I also lost the predator. I succeeded in gunning down a few of his marines but I couldn't make my usual DR rolls and my poor marines were dropping like plague flies. It was only sheer luck that I was creeping up on the victory points.

The cool moment of the game came when my knight charged into combat with Shadbolt's primaris captain. I think they spent two turns dueling before the mighty chainsword came down and turned his captain into a nice fine red mist. One lieutenant followed him to the grave shortly after and then reduced in wounds, Shadbolt dropped it with a bolter round to the back. No explosion though unfortunately.

Typhus soon found himself in combat with a small squad of (I think) tarterus terminators. A squad that he swiftly and mercilessly cut down with manreaper and smite. When my forces got into melee the game was very much otherwise on Shadbolt's side. Assault is where he excelled.

By turn five all I had left on the table was Typhus who was stuck half way up the table and wondering what to do next. All he managed that turn was a casting of smite which took out the remaining man of a squad and I had equaled Shadbolt's points total. Luckily for me the game ended there with a draw!

-

In this match Shadbolt did the right thing. He played the old style gun line army and barely moved from his deployment forcing myself to ground pound my way across the table. I probably shouldn't have taken the knight and instead gone for some rhino's but I was too scared of a redeemer burning everything of mine away.

Very good game and I look forward to a rematch at some point soon.

--

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Chaos - Death Guard) ++

+ HQ +

Malignant Plaguecaster: Miasma of Pestilence, Plague Wind

Typhus: Miasma of Pestilence, Plague Wind

+ Troops +

Chaos Cultists
. 9x Chaos Cultist w/ autopistol and brutal assault weapon
. Chaos Cultist w/ special weapon: Heavy stubber
. Cultist Champion: Shotgun

Plague Marines: Icon of Despair
. Plague Champion: Plaguesword
. . Power fist and Plasma gun: Plasma gun, Power fist
. Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun
. Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun
. 4x Plague Marines

Plague Marines
. Plague Champion: Plaguesword
. . Power fist and Plasma gun: Plasma gun, Power fist
. Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Blight launcher
. 5x Plague Marines

Poxwalkers: 20x Poxwalker

+ Heavy Support +

Chaos Predator: Combi-plasma, Havoc launcher, Twin lascannon
. Two heavy bolters: 2x Heavy bolter

++ Super-Heavy Auxiliary Detachment (Chaos - Questor Traitoris) ++

+ Lord of War +

Renegade Knight: Heavy stubber, Reaper chainsword, Thermal cannon

Plague marines and Plaguecaster fight for supremacy (and fail).

Things look bad for the space marines.

Typhus slaughters his way through terminator's with ease.

Death Guard deployment.

The Salamander's big dreadnought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Crusade Battles catchup

 It's been a few weeks since I last updated and in that time I have played a further three Crusade games. I am really enjoying playing C...