Thursday 24 January 2019

Slave Raid - Vigilus

Attracted by the growing conflict on Vigilus, Drukhari raiders descend upon outlaying colonies and fuel depots. One such realspace raiding party raced from the webway came with the desire to capture themselves some Genestealers for the fighting pits of the Dark City.

They patrolled the edges of the ruins until they saw what they had come for...

A couple nights ago I got a unexpected game against my friend's Drukhari army in a Vigilus campaign game. As I still only have 1100 points completed we stuck to that. Gary's force was made up of the Kabal of the Black Heart and the Wytch Cult of the Cursed Blade. A good opponent, Gary made a list that was less the usual sort of Drukhari list and was instead focused on some close combat to give my Genestealers something to play with.

We had already agreed to play the Patrol mission and it made sense that the Drukhari were the attacking force. I grabbed my corner and set up my usual - a bastion and two neophyte squads. Heavy bolter team on the ground and the lascannon team in the fortification. Gary deployed a venom with wytch cult inside and a unit of reaver jetbikes. He placed them behind cover where to start with I wouldn't be able to see them.

Gary received the first turn and moved everything forward. He still had cover but I was able to still get a line of sight to his forces. His shooting was brief but he did manage to kill a couple neophytes in the heavy bolter squad. My first turn and I held my ground. Opening fire I did manage to destroy one jetbike and wound another. Shooting his viper proved ineffective.

Turn two and Gary received reinforcements in the form of a razorwing aircraft and kabalites in a raider. The combined firing from these decimated my heavy bolter team. My turn saw the genestealers, patriarch and primus turned up together from the shadows but there was no good way to bring them in effectively. I had to reroll the from the shadows with the primus just to ensure I got some control. In the end I had to have them come on from my table edge behind cover and hope to use them when Gary got too close. My magus also walked on and I really had no where to put him so I brought him on close to the bastion I tried to focus fire from the bastion and the lascannon into the razorwing but I didn't do well. The remaining squad fired down on the jetbikes and they were lucky enough to cause some damage.

Turn three and it really started to go wrong for me. Gary was able to pour so much firepower into my genestealers that I was left with just the patriarch and primus, and the primus didn't last long either. Concentrated firepower, which had previously done next to nothing to my bastion, reduced it down to about five wounds giving me cause for concern. He had leaped his wytch cult out and over the next two turns they engaged the patriarch finally taking him down with losing only one of their number. I just couldn't get them to fail an invulnerable save. My only good luck came when my hybrids walked on behind his archon and cut him into tiny pieces with a power saw and the bastion's autocannons took down the razorwing. Good times!

Turn four I conceded with just one squad left sitting in a very unstable bastion.

Patrol is really not a good mission for my Cult but Gary played a nice list when he could have played something much nastier. Much like my previous game, the From The Shadows rule just didn't work very well.

+++ GSC (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) +++

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Tyranids - Genestealer Cults) ++

+ HQ +

Magus: Familiar, Power: Mind Control
. . Categories: HQ, Character, Faction: Genestealer Cults, Faction: Tyranids, Infantry, Psyker, Genestealer

Patriarch: Familiar, Power: Might From Beyond, Warlord
. . Categories: Faction: Tyranids, Faction: Genestealer Cults, Character, HQ, Psyker, Infantry, Genestealer, Warlord

Primus: Bonesword
. . Categories: HQ, Faction: Genestealer Cults, Faction: Tyranids, Infantry, Character

+ Troops +

Acolyte Hybrids: Cult Icon
. . Categories: Troops, Faction: Genestealer Cults, Faction: Tyranids, Infantry
. . 3x Acolyte Hybrid
. . Acolyte Hybrid (Hand Flamer): Hand Flamer
. . Acolyte Hybrid (Heavy Weapon): Autopistol, Heavy Rock Saw
. . Acolyte Leader: Lash Whip and Bonesword

Neophyte Hybrids: Cult Icon
. . Categories: Troops, Faction: Genestealer Cults, Faction: Tyranids, Infantry
. . 8x Neophyte Hybrid (Lasgun)
. . Neophyte Hybrid (Special Weapon): Grenade Launcher
. . Neophyte Leader: Bolt Pistol, Chainsword
. . Neophyte Weapons Team: Lascannon

Neophyte Hybrids: Cult Icon
. . Categories: Troops, Faction: Genestealer Cults, Faction: Tyranids, Infantry
. . 8x Neophyte Hybrid (Lasgun)
. . Neophyte Hybrid (Special Weapon): Flamer
. . Neophyte Leader: Bolt Pistol, Chainsword
. . Neophyte Weapons Team: Heavy Bolter

+ Elites +

Purestrain Genestealers: 16x Purestrain Genestealer, 16x Purestrain Talons
. . Categories: Elites, Faction: Tyranids, Faction: Genestealer Cults, Genestealer, Infantry

++ Fortification Network (Tyranids - Genestealer Cults) ++

+ Fortification +

Imperial Bastion: 4x Heavy bolter, Quad-gun
. . Categories: Fortification, Faction: Unaligned, Building, Vehicle, Transport

++ Total: [73 PL, 1099pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

1 comment:

  1. You finished a couple fine focuses there. I did an inquiry on the subject and discovered almost all persons will oblige with your online journal.sa gaming

    ReplyDelete

Crusade Battles catchup

 It's been a few weeks since I last updated and in that time I have played a further three Crusade games. I am really enjoying playing C...