Thursday 10 January 2019

Battle of Kragen Gorge - Vigilus

The Ork horde had barely set foot upon the blighted wastes of Vigilus when across the world the first incursion of a more terrible nature manifested. In the foothills where several small mining settlements were located the Warp manifested with murderous intent. A host of powerful daemons, servants of the Blood God, breached reality and laid waste to many of these. Only a small contingent of Vigilus secret masters - the genestealer cult - stood in their path.

This is my first game with the new Genestealer Cult army, although at this time I am having to use the out of date Index in order to run them. My friend Mike was starting a new army as well so agreed that our first game would be a nice learning curve for both of us. We settled on the points that I had built and painted - 1100, and I requested the introductory Only War mission as it wasn't too complex and we could focus on learning our armies.

Half of mine sat in Cult Ambush and the rest claimed a bastion and a wooded hill top to let me cover the two long sides of the table with what long range firepower I had. Mike deployed his army mostly along the central line with one sizable unit of Bloodletters held back in the Warp.

I got the first turn and moved a couple neophytes closer so that some Bloodletters were in range of their lasguns but that was all. I wanted the daemons to come running at me and be cut down on the way. My shooting wasn't great though. I think I killed a couple Bloodletters and knocked a single wound from Mike's Bloodthirster. His turn and he moved everything up the table. His only shooting was a single Skull Canon which sat at the back of the table. It fired this turn and then never again, and even then it failed to cause any injuries!

Turn two and I was a little more successful. A unit of acoylytes emerged from the tunnels down my right flank looking to engage the Bloodletters. I didn't expect them to survive. They were just there to try and occupy his troops. As for my main chunk - the Patriarch, Primus and the Genestealers - I was torn. Mike wasn't going for the objectives but for the kill so I had to do likewise. After some thinking about where to drop them, they came in at the back of my table edge ready to assault wherever came close enough. Not a great move but I don't think even in hindsight that I had any better option. I did knock a couple more Bloodletters down with shooting and one Flesh Hound played catch with a grenade much to his dismay!

Then it went really badly. Mike brought his remaining unit of Bloodletters down square in front of my lines and activated a stratgem. These Bloodletters then surged into my genestealer squad and the Bloodthirster made it into the neophyte squad to my right. Two other Bloodletter squads turned around and assaulted the Acolytes. Needless to say, the Acoytes died before they could do anything but over watch a single daemon and everything else got in without taking a wound. My Genestealers were almost decimated. It was only the attacks back boosted by the Patriarch's psychic might and the guidance of the Primus that ensured some casualties were inflicted back. As you can probably guess, the Neophytes died a horrific death at the hands of the greater daemon.


Turn 3 wasn't much better. I had the Primus jump back into the tunnels and escape. I may not win the game but I was going to get a victory point. That was my new goal. The Magus threw his mind control physic ability into the Bloodletters who then slaughtered the Flesh Hounds next to them. Using his familiar, the Magus tried to smite the greater daemon, promptly periled and exploded. Not good. Shooting did nothing again. Not from lack of damage but because the dice did not want me to hit! Mike's turn and I lost my Genestealers. His Bloodthirster charged my Bastion and dropped it to just seven wounds remaining!

Turn 4 and the Primus popped up across the board away from the enemy but in range of an objective. I would have my point! My Patriarch slaughtered the remaining Bloodletters before him and that was that. Mike's turn and his Bloodthirster tore down the bastion and killing one man left inside. He consolidated into the survivours as they climbed from the rubble.

Turn 5 and I had nothing to do. This turn the Bloodthirster slaughtered the Neophytes and consolidated into my Patriarch, who then died to that mighty axe! With just the Primus left at the far end of the table I conceded.


I went into this game knowing full well that daemons were going to butcher me. It's the number of attacks and the fact that I can't drop his invulnerable saves with my claws. But I went in with the mindset that this was a training game for both of us and win or lose I would come away with a better idea of how Genestealer Cults work prior to the new codex. Against a different army I might have fared better. The mission set up wasn't great for me as there is not a no-man's-lands between the armies under Only War, giving Mike's daemons a nice clear run at me. I don't think I made any bad tactical decisions as what I had was very much do or die. If it worked.. great. If not... I was in the same position anyway.

Even with the loss, I had a throughly enjoyable game against a great opponent. I've had a bit of a break from Warhammer 40K and this game made a really good evening. Looking forward to a rematch at some point when I have a few more models.


+++ GSC (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) +++

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Tyranids - Genestealer Cults) ++

+ HQ +

Magus: Familiar, Power: Mind Control
. . Categories: HQ, Character, Faction: Genestealer Cults, Faction: Tyranids, Infantry, Psyker, Genestealer

Patriarch: Familiar, Power: Might From Beyond, Warlord
. . Categories: Faction: Tyranids, Faction: Genestealer Cults, Character, HQ, Psyker, Infantry, Genestealer, Warlord

Primus: Bonesword
. . Categories: HQ, Faction: Genestealer Cults, Faction: Tyranids, Infantry, Character

+ Troops +

Acolyte Hybrids: Cult Icon
. . Categories: Troops, Faction: Genestealer Cults, Faction: Tyranids, Infantry
. . 3x Acolyte Hybrid
. . Acolyte Hybrid (Hand Flamer): Hand Flamer
. . Acolyte Hybrid (Heavy Weapon): Autopistol, Heavy Rock Saw
. . Acolyte Leader: Lash Whip and Bonesword

Neophyte Hybrids: Cult Icon
. . Categories: Troops, Faction: Genestealer Cults, Faction: Tyranids, Infantry
. . 8x Neophyte Hybrid (Lasgun)
. . Neophyte Hybrid (Special Weapon): Grenade Launcher
. . Neophyte Leader: Bolt Pistol, Chainsword
. . Neophyte Weapons Team: Lascannon

Neophyte Hybrids: Cult Icon
. . Categories: Troops, Faction: Genestealer Cults, Faction: Tyranids, Infantry
. . 8x Neophyte Hybrid (Lasgun)
. . Neophyte Hybrid (Special Weapon): Flamer
. . Neophyte Leader: Bolt Pistol, Chainsword
. . Neophyte Weapons Team: Heavy Bolter

+ Elites +

Purestrain Genestealers: 16x Purestrain Genestealer, 16x Purestrain Talons
. . Categories: Elites, Faction: Tyranids, Faction: Genestealer Cults, Genestealer, Infantry

++ Fortification Network (Tyranids - Genestealer Cults) ++

+ Fortification +

Imperial Bastion: 4x Heavy bolter, Quad-gun
. . Categories: Fortification, Faction: Unaligned, Building, Vehicle, Transport

++ Total: [73 PL, 1099pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Crusade Battles catchup

 It's been a few weeks since I last updated and in that time I have played a further three Crusade games. I am really enjoying playing C...