Monday 16 April 2018

The Red Death - Sanctum

Planet: Sanctum.
Region: Xenobian sector.

Death Guard vs Craftworld Saim-Hann.
1500 points.
Mission: The Scouring.
Deployment: Search and Destroy.

Elements of the Death Guard had gathered to fortify their position until reinforcements could reach them. The low hills and overgrown ruins offered some defence. However, the fast moving Saim-Hann force swiftly overran the outer defences. The battle lasted two days before the Aeldari finally slew the last plague marine. When Typhus and his entourage arrived they found nothing but a burning pile of their own dead.

My second match up against Charlie and one long time in coming. I wasn't sure if he was still going to be playing his Aeldari so I simply tried to build an interesting list. That would blow up in my face as you shall soon see.


The Scouring was our chosen mission and we rolled Search and Destroy for the deployment. This was not a good deployment for myself. I was forced to deploy bunched together and mostly hiding behind ruins knowing full well that if I moved out I was going to get blasted. Straight away I seriously doubted I was going to win this match.

The first turn was simply the Aeldari zooming forwards and letting off a few shots which dropped a couple cultists and stripped one or two wounds from some vehicles. I attempted to move forwards to grab a couple objectives and get ready for Charlie's incoming aircraft.

At was at this point as we got to turn two that I realized that I had made a huge mistake. I am so used to playing 2000 point games that I forgot the night before that I was playing 1500 points. Thankfully something clicked in my head and stopped the game to point out my mistake. I had a couple minutes to remove 500 points from things that had not impacted the game. This meant that a sizable chunk of my army went bye bye. I felt like such a numpty. Thankfully Charlie was a good sport and we carried on.

The second turn saw the Aeldari grab some objectives and suitable firing points to continue pouring fire into my army. I was stuck. There was no way to advance out into the open to grab objectives for myself. When Charlie brought a pair of war walkers in on my right flank I gave myself the secondary objective of taking those down. If I could do that then I would happy.

This was pretty the state of the game from here on. By turn five I believe I was down to just my lord of contagion and plaguecaster. The plaguecaster took a good chunk of it before he fell, but the lord of contagion did get into combat with the war walkers and brought one down with ease. Turn six and that war walker fled from combat but not for long. My warlord successfully charged into him again and crushed it with his manreaper. Then he turned to the encroaching Aeldari and they burned him to the ground.

Even if I had not made a silly mistake and had to remove models, I still don't think that I could have done anything against Charlie's list. It was really good and long range fire meant that there was little that I could do. I did manage to inflict some casualties among his jetbikes and his warlord, I just didn't have the range or the stopping power to do much more against this list.

A good game though. Nice and visual for a good bit of a narrative game.

---

My corrected list.

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Chaos - Death Guard) [85 PL, 1489pts] ++

+ HQ +

Lord of Contagion [7 PL, 117pts]: 3. Tainted Regeneration, Manreaper, Warlord

Malignant Plaguecaster [6 PL, 110pts]: 1. Miasma of Pestilence, 5. Putrescent Vitality, The Pandemic Staff

+ Troops +

Chaos Cultists [6 PL, 48pts]
. 9x Chaos Cultist w/ autopistol and brutal assault weapon
. Chaos Cultist w/ special weapon: Heavy stubber
. Cultist Champion: Shotgun

Plague Marines [10 PL, 180pts]: Icon of Despair
. Plague Champion: Plague knife, Plasma gun, Power fist
. 4x Plague Marine w/ boltgun
. Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun
. Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun

Plague Marines [10 PL, 183pts]: Icon of Despair
. Plague Champion: Plague knife, Plasma gun, Power fist
. 4x Plague Marine w/ boltgun
. Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Blight launcher
. Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Plague Spewer

+ Elites +

Deathshroud Terminators [11 PL, 180pts]
. Deathshroud Champion: Manreaper, Plaguespurt gauntlets
. 2x Deathshroud Terminator: 2x Manreaper, 2x Plaguespurt gauntlets

Helbrute [7 PL, 139pts]: Helbrute fist, Multi-melta

+ Fast Attack +

Chaos Spawn [4 PL, 66pts]: Chaos Spawn, Chaos Spawn

Myphitic Blight-haulers [7 PL, 142pts]
. Myphitic Blight-hauler: Bile spurt, Missile launcher, Multi-melta

+ Heavy Support +

Chaos Predator [9 PL, 172pts]: Combi-flamer, Havoc launcher, Predator autocannon
. Two heavy bolters: 2x Heavy bolter

Plagueburst Crawler [8 PL, 152pts]: 2x Entropy cannon, Rothail volley gun

++ Total: [85 PL, 1489pts] ++

No comments:

Post a Comment

Crusade Battles catchup

 It's been a few weeks since I last updated and in that time I have played a further three Crusade games. I am really enjoying playing C...