Sunday 8 April 2018

Power Level vs Points


I had already planned to write this article but recently my fellow blogger The Burning Eye posted up a good post about the topic of power levels. So here are my thoughts on the subject from the point of view of a casual gamer.

8th edition introduced the idea of Power Levels, hereafter shortened to PL, as a different method to construct an army list. It was not really meant to be used for a competitive format but I think for easy pick up games. That's not to say that you couldn't play a competitive game but the difference between separate codex armies would unbalance it too much.

The standard points balance out units and upgrades by costing appropriately to their strengths and weaknesses. This is why a points system is favoured by more players than not. The PL system just grants a rough cost based on an average strength and weakness on a unit without worrying about individual costs for upgrades. As there is no cost difference between a unit with lascannons and heavy bolters it is clear, again, to see why PL are not well received.

I certainly agree that points are a far more attractive method but one that is time consuming and a little awkward - flipping between pages and Chapter Approved (if necessary). With PL you can just grab units, upgrades and be done with it. The benefit, other than ease, is that you can take whatever upgrades you want and it is nice to see choices being played that you wouldn't see all that often under the points system.

I have played both points and PL, and I can honestly say that I enjoyed both styles of play. If I had to choose though I would definitely go with points. The perceived balance that points bring to the game can make all the difference.

So is there a need for Power Level? Other than speedy casual pick up games I think that PL is a good way to start off new players. They don't need to be bombarded with points and balance straight off the bat. Get some small games played, teach the basic rules and then introduce them the points complexity. So, yes, I think there is a small reason for having them. Ultimately though I don't think Games Workshop needed to include PL in the main rule book. It's more something that could have been dropped into Chapter Approved 2017 instead of pointless "make your own objective markers".

With that in mind, what are your experiences with Power Levels and your thoughts on their addition to Warhammer 40K?


3 comments:

  1. I really like the idea of Power Levels and would love to make use of it in all my games. As you know I take a very relaxed attitude towards the game and I'd love to make use of this quick and easy list building method rather than mess about with points.

    The problem is that old habits die hard amongst wargamers and everyone in my local area just uses points. I can see why as well. Judging from what people have reported from using Power Levels, you get massive disparities between the armies made using PL. 100 PL can produce armies ranging from abour 1400 to 2500!

    I'd love to see PL adopted more widely, but even GW seems to be focussing on Matched Play :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matched Play style games have always been the default and with many participating in tournaments and organised games it makes sense.

      Delete
  2. Yeah most the veterans in my area have dug their heels in about it somewhat and the rest of us pretty much have to follow suit if we want regular games.

    It's a shame, as Power Level seems such a nice system for those of us who don't care too much about precise balance and just want a fun game. As recent tournament results and the constant tweaking of points prove though, points aren't exactly a perfect system either!

    ReplyDelete

Crusade Battles catchup

 It's been a few weeks since I last updated and in that time I have played a further three Crusade games. I am really enjoying playing C...