Saturday 9 February 2019

Battle for Outpost 41 - Vigilus

The Battle for Outpost 41 was an engagement early in the Vigilus conflict and one of the first for the resident Genestealer Cult. Mining Colony 41 was protected by a defensive formation around which the miners and their families lived. When Drukhari raiders attacked, the cult was forced to reveal itself in an attempt to save their "family" from the attacking xenos. The attack lasted a mere four hours before the Drukhari retreated with their captured slaves.


1300 points.
Genestealer Cult vs Drukhari (Cult of the Red Grief).
Mission: Hold Your Gains.
Battle Zone: None.

This is the last game for me before the release of the new Genestealer Cults codex. My friend Dan had challenged me a few weeks ago so last night we prepared for battle! We choose the Hold Your Gains mission from the Vigilus campaign and I decided that again, I should be the defender. Once I have the new codex and some new toys, I'll change that and will start to try a more aggressive approach.

I set up my fortifications in the center of the table and had a third person set up the remainder of the terrain around the table. My neophytes and magus deployed, one squad in the bastion and the other on the ground around the bastion. Everything else remained in the shadows. I had wanted to try not using them this way but the mission required it and even if not, I don't think they would have lasted had they been forced to deploy on the table.


The mission gave the Drukhari the first turn and Dan sped his forces forward and although his shooting was rather unlucky he did manage to destroy one of my vengeance batteries almost straight off the bat. My turn was all too brief with the groundside hybrid squad trying to get into some cover and a lot of shooting that didn't do an awful lot. I believe one jetbike was taken out but that was it.

Once Dan's forces had moved closer, they continued to blast away at my troops and at the bastion, but the fortification was holding up well despite the continuous assault of powerful firepower. My groundbased neophytes were cut down by a unit of hellions and for some reason Dan ignored my Magus who was able to slink away and cause psychic damage over the next few turns. He had the opportunity to deal with psychic potential and he didn't take it.


Dan used his jetbikes to surround the remaining vengeance platform trying to take it down, and one of his wytch HQ's came from a Raider to assault the Bastion. She did a lot better than his shooting had done. Turn two saw my genestealer blob arrive  and as has been the case in recent games, I've had to use the re-roll from the stratgem and the Primus to get them to appear where I need them. In this case they came up near the jetbikes, and thanks to the roll, they were able to walk forwards to get closer to the enemy. That was probably the high point of this game, as the genestealers and patriarch tore through both jetbike squads. One was left alive to fall back from combat. Dan replied by deploying his wytch squads and charging them into the genestealer block and another into the bastion. It seemed he was desperate to bring that fortification down.


Turn three and I got the hybrid squad in where I wanted them. I placed them 9'' from the forces assaulting my bastion and charged them in. Although the squad was cut down by the wytches, they in turn had lost enough that they were killed by battleshock. The genestealer squad went down to just the patriarch and primus, and they didn't last long.

Turn four and Dan took out the remaining weapon platform and the bastion. He had tabled me but it was a great game and for once I felt that the Cult had actually been able to put up a fight against the forces attacking them.

---

Hold Your Gains is an example of how narrative missions can be a little one sided, but that is how they are meant to be played. I don't think I would have done well being the attacker anyway. At least not using the Index for my army. I think once the new codex is in my sweaty claws it will be time to start playing the regular missions for a while to get my head around how the army is going to be played from now on.

---


+++ GSC (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) +++

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Tyranids - Genestealer Cults) [63 PL, 8CP, 877pts] ++

+ HQ +

Magus [5 PL, 85pts]: Familiar, Power: Mind Control

Patriarch [8 PL, 162pts]: Familiar, Power: Might From Beyond, Warlord

Primus [4 PL, 76pts]: Bonesword

+ Troops +

Acolyte Hybrids [10 PL, 115pts]: Cult Icon
. . 3x Acolyte Hybrid
. . Acolyte Hybrid (Hand Flamer): Hand Flamer
. . Acolyte Hybrid (Heavy Weapon): Autopistol, Heavy Rock Saw
. . Acolyte Leader: Lash Whip and Bonesword

Neophyte Hybrids [10 PL, 104pts]: Cult Icon
. . 8x Neophyte Hybrid (Lasgun)
. . Neophyte Hybrid (Special Weapon): Grenade Launcher
. . Neophyte Leader: Bolt Pistol, Chainsword
. . Neophyte Weapons Team: Lascannon

Neophyte Hybrids [10 PL, 95pts]: Cult Icon
. . 8x Neophyte Hybrid (Lasgun)
. . Neophyte Hybrid (Special Weapon): Flamer
. . Neophyte Leader: Bolt Pistol, Chainsword
. . Neophyte Weapons Team: Heavy Bolter

+ Elites +

Purestrain Genestealers [16 PL, 240pts]: 16x Purestrain Genestealer, 16x Purestrain Talons

++ Fortification Network (Tyranids - Genestealer Cults) [22 PL, 422pts] ++

+ Fortification +

Imperial Bastion [10 PL, 222pts]: 4x Heavy bolter, Quad-gun

Vengeance Weapon Batteries [12 PL, 200pts]
. . Vengeance Weapon Battery: Punisher Gatling Cannon
. . Vengeance Weapon Battery: Punisher Gatling Cannon

++ Total: [85 PL, 8CP, 1299pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

2 comments:

  1. Nice report! I'm also excited to try out the new codex in the coming weeks. The new cult ambush looks intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new codex does look impressive. Just going to take some time to work out the best combinations.

      Delete

Crusade Battles catchup

 It's been a few weeks since I last updated and in that time I have played a further three Crusade games. I am really enjoying playing C...