Wednesday 24 October 2018

Where am I right now?


I've been out of the 40K side of things for a couple months now. Partly because a loss in the family which required my attention and partly because I have begun to sense a slip in my enjoyment of the game.

I still feel that the 8th edition rules are by far the best that we've had but lately two things have started to bother me. One is the level of competitiveness that is emerging locally and for me it is sapping a lot of my enjoyment. The other is just the sheer amount of FAQ and rules updates that have appeared in the last year and a bit since this edition has dropped. I'm not even sure what order to apply things anymore. Thank goodness Battlescribe handles that well enough.

When 8th came out, all we had were the rulebooks and the indexes. The game felt balanced and fun. The codexes have lost that in favour of a more powergaming style approach. It almost feels like the old days of codex creep. In the beginning I was having a lot more fun and my win to loss ratio was about 50/50. These days unless I am playing against a fellow casual gamer (and there aren't that many locally) I feel that playing has once again become a serious chore. So I have stepped away from 40K for the most part. Give myself a break, play another game which has quickly become more popular for me, and see where I am in a couple months.

It also has not helped that I have become somewhat disillusioned with my Death Guard. I just feel that they don't have what I want anymore. I keep looking at other armies but nothing grabs me. Either I stick to Death Guard or I go back to my old space marine army, which I would rather not do. I'm also pondering whether I should look at Genestealer Cult or wait until next year for the Adeptus Sororitas release - see if they can be made playable.


I know this feels all negative and ugh but that is where I am with 40K right now. I'm not going to give up on it but I think the number of games I'll be playing will drop off a bit.Something needs to give me that big push again, and maybe a short break will do me good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Crusade Battles catchup

 It's been a few weeks since I last updated and in that time I have played a further three Crusade games. I am really enjoying playing C...