Saturday 13 October 2018

Necropolis Street Fight - Cerberus

Planet: Cerberus.
Region: Cerberus sector.

Death Guard vs Neotian Saints (Cadian).
500 points.
Mission: N/A.
Deployment: Dawn of War.

Sometimes the smallest engagements can turn the tides of battle. For three months the Imperium have been attempting to dislodge the Death Guard from their holdings in the city of Necropolis but to no avail. Space marines, grey knights and even a small force of Titans have been unsuccessful. The final deciding engagement occurred when two scouting forces met in the rubble strewn streets shortly after dawn...

My good friend Mister Landon has been looking to join our merry gang of Warhammer players for a while and this week we met up at the club for a basic training game. His army of choice is an Astra Militarum (boo! hiss!) regiment named the Neotian Saints (Cadian doctrine). At 500 points neither of us were going to have a lot so we just played 4x4 board with terrain laid out in a X pattern. My points were pretty much two plague marine units and a lord of contagion. I really hoped Landon wouldn't roll out a tank but that's what he did. But it did make for a very interesting game.

Despite setting my army up first, Landon got the first turn and I elected not to seize the initiative. Before the game started Landon activated a stratagem that triggered a pre-emptive bombardment which killed a single plague marine.

The first couple of turns were fairly simple as my opponent moved up on my left with his guardsmen and leman russ, and his taurox sped forward to my more undefended right flank. I lost a couple plague marines to the imperial tank but it would eventually have bad rolls with it's random shots which helped me out. Once I had started moving up the middle of the table, a squad of scions and his warlord dropped down behind me and another squad jumped out of the taurox.

Over a couple turns my lord of contagion hacked his way through all of these, including the taurox. At best he took one wound which was healed via his tainted regeneration war lord trait. With these down Landon was left with one guardsmen squad and his leman russ. My squad with the meltagun moved closer to it, pinning it in place, stripping a couple wounds and then smashing into assault. While by the game ended, I hadn't destroyed it but I did get it down to it's lowest setting.

The game went to 6 before it ended and I won on 4 victory points to 0. A very good game and one that I thought I was going to lose purely down to the presence of the leman russ on the table. In hindsight, my opponent needed to sit it at the back in a good field of fire rather than slowly grind it forwards. In the end I think my ability in assault compared to his guardsmen that won me the game.

I really look forward to the next match we have. If Landon has expanded his army up to 1000 points we can play a regular mission and give him a better experience. The only thing that was a problem for me was a lack of playing 40K for a couple months which meant I had to look up some silly stuff like Rapid Fire because I had completely forgotten (too much playing a different game). Time to hit the rulebook again!

---


++ Patrol Detachment (Chaos - Death Guard) ++

+ HQ +

Lord of Contagion: 3. Tainted Regeneration, Manreaper, The Suppurating Plate, Warlord

+ Troops +

Plague Marines: Icon of Despair
. . Plague Champion
. . . . Codex: Plague knife, Plasma gun, Power fist
. . 4x Plague Marine w/ boltgun
. . Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Meltagun
. . Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun

Plague Marines: Icon of Despair
. . Plague Champion
. . . . Codex: Plague knife, Plasma gun, Power fist
. . 4x Plague Marine w/ boltgun
. . Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Plague Spewer
. . Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Blight launcher

++ Total: [27 PL, 484pts] ++

---

The Taurox rumbles forward.

The foolish minions of the false emperor!!!

Plague marines holding out in the ruins.

Like manreaping grox in a barrel!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Crusade Battles catchup

 It's been a few weeks since I last updated and in that time I have played a further three Crusade games. I am really enjoying playing C...