Saturday 7 July 2018

Blockade the Hive - Abraxes

Planet: Abraxes.
Region: Ceres Sector.

Death Guard vs Tyranids - Kraken.
1500 points
Mission: Targets of Opportunity.
Deployment: Spearhead Assault.

Following the recent losses against the Hive Mind, the Death Guard leadership decided that the legion should engage in a blockading action. Form an immense line in a vital location, and weather the storm as the xenos beasts threw themselves against the might of the legion.

This weeks club match was against young mister Charlie. I wasn't sure what he was bringing to the game. At one point it was Harlequins and then that changed, and what I ended up facing off against was a rather nasty Tyranid list. We had already decided on the Targets of Opportunity mission and we rolled Spearhead Assault on the night.

After picking our sides, we set up and I completed mine first. I was quite dismayed to see the sheer number of genestealers arrayed against me. I hoped it would take them a fair while to get to me but then I was introduced to the Kraken faction ability. This was going to be tough. Even with the +1 Charlie got the roll and I decided not to seize the initiative. He had no long range shooting so I thought it would be easier to let him run at me and I'd have a bit better time of it.

To start with the cards did me well. I started on two of the objectives I needed so I held those rhinos and their occupants. As usual only my hellforged contemptor walked forwards. I figured no point getting into a position where the genestealers could assault me easily. I wasn;t doing their job for them. On their turn I learned what the kraken ability was much to be horror. The whole mass shifted and swarmed up one side of the table clearing so much ground that next turn they would be in assault position no matter where I put my options. Charlie's winged hive tyrant manged to get into combat with my contemptor. He knocked two wounds off I think and in return I did nothing.

My second turn revolved around staying out as the cards didn't want me going forwards and I knew I was going to be overrun fairly quickly. I held my ground and tried to go down as many as I could. As I should come to expect my dice were terrible early on and I barely made a dent in them. On the hived tyrant was smacked down to it's last couple wounds and did nothing to my contemptor. Come my opponent's turn and one rhino was surrounded by genestealers and torn apart. I lose the squad inside. The winged hive tyrant jumped from combat to smite my plaguecaster, who passed his disgustingly resilient rolls, and promptly exploded his own head with a perils of the warp. The hive tyrant fell having been utterly useless.

Turn 3 and I was just about keeping it together with the tactical objective cards. A lot of what I was drawing was kill units and a well drawn assassinate the warlord (even if he's already dead). But it wasn't helping long term. The genestealers tore down another rhino and my land raider. The broodlord, I think it was, tore through my cultists. I was left with my lord of contagion and his deathshrouds. Turn 4 and all four succumbed to the wall of teeth and claws. I was tabled down to a man.

---

After match thoughts...

I had played the same list that have been trying of late. I want to use it as a base line for what I field and in this match it didn't do well. Had my plague marines actually been able to get out of the the rhinos before they went down, I might have been able to gun down a few more genestealers. This was the first time I ever played against a list that surrounded vehicles and locked down any attempt to escape. Not something we see at the club really so it took me a little by surprise.

A good fun game. Had I managed to get to the end of turn 5 I could have won on victory points as I was ahead by two I think when I was tabled. Maybe next time.

---

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Chaos - Death Guard) [87 PL, 1466pts] ++

+ HQ +

Lord of Contagion [7 PL, 117pts]: 3. Tainted Regeneration, Manreaper, The Suppurating Plate, Warlord

Malignant Plaguecaster [6 PL, 110pts]: 1. Miasma of Pestilence, 6. Curse of the Leper

+ Troops +

Chaos Cultists [6 PL, 48pts]
. 9x Chaos Cultist w/ autopistol and brutal assault weapon
. Chaos Cultist w/ special weapon: Heavy stubber
. Cultist Champion: Shotgun

Plague Marines [10 PL, 155pts]: Icon of Despair
. Plague Champion
. . Codex: Plasmagun, Plague knife
. 4x Plague Marine w/ boltgun
. Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun
. Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun

Plague Marines [10 PL, 156pts]: Icon of Despair
. Plague Champion
. . Codex: Plasmagun, Plague knife
. 4x Plague Marine w/ boltgun
. Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Meltagun
. Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Blight launcher

+ Elites +

Deathshroud Terminators [11 PL, 180pts]
. Deathshroud Champion: Manreaper, Plaguespurt gauntlets
. 2x Deathshroud Terminator: 2x Manreaper, 2x Plaguespurt gauntlets

Hellforged Contemptor Dreadnought [10 PL, 196pts]: Havoc launcher
. Left Arm: Hellflamer, Hellforged deathclaw
. Right Arm: Kheres assault cannon

+ Heavy Support +

Chaos Land Raider [19 PL, 356pts]: Twin heavy bolter, 2x Twin lascannon

+ Dedicated Transport +

Chaos Rhino [4 PL, 74pts]: Combi-bolter, Combi-bolter

Chaos Rhino [4 PL, 74pts]: Combi-bolter, Combi-bolter

++ Total: [87 PL, 1466pts] ++

The giant beasts advance at the head of the xenos force

How many genestealers????

Cultists guarding the objective that the tactical cards loved.

Our battlefield and deployment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Crusade Battles catchup

 It's been a few weeks since I last updated and in that time I have played a further three Crusade games. I am really enjoying playing C...