Saturday 4 November 2017

Ordered Retreat - Cerberus

Planet: Cerberus.
Region: Cerberus sector.

Death Guard vs Dark Ultima space marines.
1500 points.
Mission: Deadlock - Psychic Maelstrom.
Deployment: Pitched Battle.

The Death Guard attempt to blockade and cut off certain strategic targets held by the Imperium had failed. Forced to retreat so as not to stretch their forces too thin, many elements found themselves hounded by space marine forces. To allow the plague marines to fall back safely, Typhus held his ground and fought to slow the Imperial pursuit.

A revenge match against mister Multch and his space marines. No longer are they just an Ultramarine army but a successor chapter named the "Dark Ultima." This time it was my choice of mission so I picked Deadlock using the psychic maelstrom battle zone rules. I don't get enough games using the battle zones so when I get the choice I'll snatch it up.

Multch likes his repulsor tank I knew first off that I would need some means of dealing with it so the first thing I put in my list was a trio of helbrutes to hammer it into scrap. There is no point playing psychic maelstrom without psykers, although Multch did well enough without them, so Typhus was joined by a plaguecaster. Would this help me? Well...

I tried to be strategic in how I placed my units and by random luck it helped when the tactical objectives were drawn as I was already sitting on two of them. First turn was simply moving the helbrutes, poxwalkers and Typhus forwards towards the objective that I needed at the center of the table. My predator did good dealing some serious damage to Multch's redemptor dreadnought that succeeded in keeping it mostly of the game from here on. In return the repulsor and the dreadnought blasted my predator into lots of little bits.

Multch then dropped some centurions down near the center of the table to contest my control of that objective but even as I lost poxwalkers to excessive shooting I was in control and gained the objective. The middle of the table became a mighty melee. As one helbrute went down I used a stratagem to make it explode, which wounded the centurions and my own helbrute. It was not long though before my sorcery cleared the center but by then I had lost all three helbrutes.

One rhino holding a plague marine unit and my plaguecaster with little to capture on my left flank sped forward towards the ruins across the table where Multch had some helblasters snipping away at my poxwalkers. Between overpowered smite, plenty of ammunition and some plague knives, they were soon cut down. Meanwhile the other plague marines on my right flank withstood a full round of shooting from the repulsor before then dying the following turn to continued massed shooting. By then though I had figured that Multch was going to win with a lot more tactical objective cards.

Ultimately the game came down to a nasty battle in the middle of the table. A primaris captain, apothecary and I think it was a lieutenant took on Typhus. The plaguecaster swept forward trying to snatch mortal wounds through smite but he was soon gunned down by the repulsor. Meanwhile Typhus was not doing great on the hits but making saves like crazy until the end of turn 6 when he dropped giving Multch a point for Slay the Warlord. The game ended and we counted up the points. We would have been drawn on 9 points each, but Slay the Warlord took my opponent than one step ahead giving him total victory.

Great fast flowing game and I not nearly as overwhelmed as I thought I was going to be. The cards came out much more equal than most games involving them so although I thought Multch had gained more than he had. Very good game but next time victory will be mine. :)

---


++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Chaos - Death Guard) [82 PL, 1490pts] ++

+ HQ +

Malignant Plaguecaster [6 PL, 110pts]: Curse of the Leper, Plague Wind, The Pandemic Staff
Typhus [9 PL, 175pts]: Miasma of Pestilence, Putrescent Vitality

+ Troops +

Chaos Cultists [3 PL, 48pts]
. 9x Chaos Cultist w/ Autogun
. Chaos Cultist w/ special weapon: Heavy stubber
. Cultist Champion: Autogun

Plague Marines [10 PL, 156pts]: Icon of Despair
. Plague Champion: Boltgun, Plague knife
. 5x Plague Marine w/ boltgun
. Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun

Plague Marines [10 PL, 156pts]: Icon of Despair
. Plague Champion: Boltgun, Plague knife
. 5x Plague Marine w/ boltgun
. Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun

Poxwalkers [6 PL, 120pts]: 20x Poxwalker

+ Elites +

Helbrute [7 PL, 139pts]: Helbrute fist, Multi-melta
Helbrute [7 PL, 139pts]: Helbrute fist, Multi-melta
Helbrute [7 PL, 139pts]: Helbrute fist, Multi-melta

+ Heavy Support +

Chaos Predator [9 PL, 160pts]: Twin lascannon
. Two heavy bolters: 2x Heavy bolter

+ Dedicated Transport +

Chaos Rhino [4 PL, 74pts]: Combi-bolter, Combi-bolter

Chaos Rhino [4 PL, 74pts]: Combi-bolter, Combi-bolter

---

Death Guard deployment - center and right flank.

Primaris marines hold a ruin and snipe down at my poor helbrutes.

Dark Ultima chapter brings the big guns.

Plague Marines holding the right flank.

Dark Ultima repulsor tank.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Crusade Battles catchup

 It's been a few weeks since I last updated and in that time I have played a further three Crusade games. I am really enjoying playing C...