Friday 22 June 2018

The Abraxan Salt Flats - Abraxes

Planet: Abraxes.
Region: Ceres Sector.

Death Guard vs Tyranids - Leviathan.
1500 points
Mission: The Relic.
Deployment: Hammer & Anvil.

This battle took place on a vast expanse of salt flats dotted with abandoned mining stations. It was one of the largest engagement of the first year of the war. The Death Guard had come to this site desperate for resources and munitions to help combat the xenos menace. Although they failed to accomplish their task, they were successful in decimating this army of the Tyranid forces.

Another match up against my friend Shadbolt and his Tyranid forces. We agreed to play The Relic mission and rolled the Hammer & Anvil deployment. I had not had much time, as usual, to plan a list out so I basically took what I played in last week's game minus Mortarion and a couple plague marine models. When I gazed down upon what Shadbolt had brought to face me I knew I was going to have trouble. I should have made the time to work on that army list.

Although I had the option I decided to let the Tyranids get the first turn but only because I didn't want to get my infantry up to the relic and then get assaulted by genestealers. Shadbolt started out moving his gaunts and genestealers forward and quite close to snatching the Relic straight away. Come the shooting phase, he had his tyrannofex start blasting away at my plagueburst crawler. If if I didn't know otherwise I'd think he didn't like it.

For the start of my turn I moved up everything I had pretty much. Only the plagueburst crawler stayed put. On my left flank I was trying to get my hellforged contemptor into combat with Shadbolt's gaunts in order to get some wounds back. My other infantry and bloat drone moved towards the center. I wanted that Relic. My warlord and his deathshrouds moved up the right flank with the idea of getting the big monsters locked in combat.

Although I made many disgustingly resilient rolls on Shadbolt's turn, it was very much in his court. He pulled away from my left flank forces unwilling to risk the combat, and his genestealers snuck in to take the Relic. His shooting was rather spot on, and he knocked a lot of wounds off my crawler, but as it was extremely disappointing this game as usual, I didn't mind so much. Despite my good rolls I was slowly losing models.

The game started to turn when I had an idea on turn 3. Due to my shooting and I think Shadbolt's desire to get his genestealers and broodlord into combat I was able to lure his forces away from the Relic once I had inflicted enough casualties. It cost me everything I had to do it and on turn 4 all I had left was my plaguecaster who had done very little all game. With his demise and the talons of the genestealers the game ended and with no one to have their grubby claws on the Relic the game ended with a draw.

---

Afterthoughts...

This was a really fun game and goes to show how good 8th edition is when played with a casual attitude. Shadbolt is a great opponent who gets the idea of the non-competitive approach.

My list was okay, but I don't really know what I would have taken differently. Nothing else in my collection would really have helped I don't think.

The Tyranid list was very nice. Genestealers are a nasty unit to deal with and I knew that I was going to struggle there.

---

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP ++


+ HQ +

Lord of Contagion : Manreaper, The Suppurating Plate

Malignant Plaguecaster : 3. Plague Wind, 6. Curse of the Leper

+ Troops +

Plague Marines : Icon of Despair
. Plague Champion: Plague knife, Plasma gun, Power fist
. 7x Plague Marine w/ boltgun
. Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun
. Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun

Plague Marines : Icon of Despair
. Plague Champion: Plague knife, Plasma gun, Power fist
. 5x Plague Marine w/ boltgun
. Plague Marine w/ melee weapons: Flail of Corruption
. Plague Marine w/ melee weapons: Great plague cleaver
. Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Plague Spewer
. Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Blight launcher

20x Poxwalker

+ Elites +

Deathshroud Terminators
. Deathshroud Champion: Manreaper, Plaguespurt gauntlets
. 2x Deathshroud Terminator: 2x Manreaper, 2x Plaguespurt gauntlets

Hellforged Contemptor Dreadnought : Havoc launcher
. Left Arm: Hellflamer, Hellforged deathclaw
. Right Arm: Kheres assault cannon

+ Fast Attack +

Foetid Bloat-drone : 2x Plaguespitters, Plague probe

+ Heavy Support +

Plagueburst Crawler : 2x Entropy cannon, Rothail volley gun

---

The set up to an all too brief skirmish which saw the Deathshrouds slaughtered.

The battle lines are drawn.

Foul smelling plague marines.

A horde of genestealers waiting to be unleashed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Crusade Battles catchup

 It's been a few weeks since I last updated and in that time I have played a further three Crusade games. I am really enjoying playing C...