Monday 21 August 2017

Contact Lost - Cerberus

Planet: Cerberus.
Region: Cerberus Sector.

Death Guard vs Ultramarines.
1200 points.
Mission: Contact Lost.
Deployment: Search and Destroy.

This engagement occurred during the Imperial push into the diseased heart of the Death Guard held territory. An Ultramarine task force pushed into a region of mountainous and forested terrain several miles ahead of the Imperial advance where they encountered a scouting force of plague marines. The psychic miasma surrounding Typhus blocked the Imperial communications forcing them to rely on the experience of their Primaris commander.

When I challenged Multch to an 8th edition game I had fully expected him to bring a Necron army as that was what I had seen him play recently. I knew he had at least space wolves and black templars but I did not expect to see them when I turned up for the game. His list was made to try out the new Ultramarines rules so this was going to be interesting.

You'll notice from the photos below that Multch was using models of various chapters to represent the army he was trying out. The funky looking purple and gold are going to be his own Ultramarine successor colours. No name for the chapter yet. Hopefully next time we play they'll have a cool name to go with the nice colour scheme.

Multch had the first turn and moved forward towards my corner. Focused heavy weapon fire took out one rhino transport leaving it's occupants to foot slog it forwards. He then put a lot of firepower into the land raider stripping wounds off of it but not doing enough to wreck it. He also deep striked an assault squad and jump pack librarian behind my lines.

My first turn saw the heldrake soar forwards, belching foul flesh-eating fluids over my opponent's scouts. The survivours then torn apart and eaten in the assault phase. The foetid bloat drone found it's role in the game spewing those same juices over the assault marines but due to space was unable to assault them. I in turn poured as much heavy fire as I could into the repulsor and vindicator but couldn't destroy either.

The first turn was probably the longest of the entire game. After that the second and third turns sort of melded together. My rhino transports were gone and incoming fire was slowly dropping my plague marines. I lost the land raider but not before I managed to melta the repulsor to death. Sadly no explosion to take Multch's primaris marines. Close combat was then joined as we had both got close to the center of the table. His primaris intercessors hacked through one plague marine squad far too easily. Why did Games Workshop have to take away a power sword option on my plague champion?!! It went down hill from there. A vindicator shot knocked off a lot of wounds from the heldrake and although I charged it into his primaris captain, the captain beheaded it in one swift stroke.

Unfortunately at this point we were close to having to pack up the club for the night so we called it. Multch was way ahead of me on points and he won 6 to 1. Once again the cards did not come through for me. Typhus kept sending my poor marines to objective 2 which was heavily defended by enemy marines. I tried to take it with my daemon prince of chaos but despite taking his inceptors down with ease, heavy weapon and massed bolter fire crushed him as he charged in.

A good game as always but one that I was probably not prepared for. Had he brought his necrons I think I might have done a lot better tactical cards not considered. Still, I look forward to seeing what his space marine army comes up with next.

A repulsor tank in Multch's colour scheme.

Deployment at the start of the game.

Death Guard deployment.

Bad bad primaris space marines!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Crusade Battles catchup

 It's been a few weeks since I last updated and in that time I have played a further three Crusade games. I am really enjoying playing C...