Friday 5 May 2017

8th edition detachments

I've kept quiet on recent 8th edition posts from GW because I've been largely on the fence with their AoS style rules and because other blogs will probably do a better of reviewing them than I can. But saying that we have a new one today featuring detachments.

I've always felt that 40K needed different types of detachments. The traditional combined arms detachment (CAD) is rather boring after all these years. To my knowledge other than a few recent specific ones in books like Traitor Legions, we've only had two other generic detachments - attacker and defender, from Stronghold Assault. Now, it looks like we have them in 8th for, at a guess, different point value games more than anything.


Patrol is probably the first choice for a basic or introductory game.

Battalion is probably for your 1000 point games.

Brigade I would guess is your big ass 2000 point plus game for the whole day.

I did notice that none of the three detachments presented today have either fortifications or lords of war presented. I hope that they don't just appear in larger and larger detachments. 

Sadly though formations do not get a look in. No more. I find that a real shame as I like formations due to how nice and fluffy they make each factions armies.

The post from Games Workshop does leave me with a couple questions. One, can you take multiple detachments? Could I take a Brigade detachment and a Battalion detachment together, and if so do command points stack? Secondly, can we still take allies? Our primary being one detachment and the allies being a smaller detachment? Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Crusade Battles catchup

 It's been a few weeks since I last updated and in that time I have played a further three Crusade games. I am really enjoying playing C...