Friday 1 April 2022

GamesHub League 2022 - Game 6

I played round 6 of the GamesHub league this past week against a Thousand Sons army. First time I have played against them since seventh edition. The problem was my opponent. I shall not name him here for fairness reasons. In the decade and a half that our local group has been playing, this person has developed quite the reputation as a Win At All Costs player and frequently a cheat. There are quite a few people who will not play him or at the very least require someone who knows his codex to be witness to the game. With that in mind I was not looking forward to this match but I'm a good sport and I was prepare to play if only to have a game and some fun. 

Rather than bring a typical list I decided to bring something a little different. I went for a Vanguard detachment. The idea being that I wasn't going to win so I would enjoy the game playing something different and some units I don't get to play very often. Some of the guys were trying to get me to play for the win and offered suggestions but I would not have enjoyed such a game against this opponent.

My opponent's list was not what I expected. He had played much more aggressive lists against other players so far in the league. His was basically a sorcerer, daemon prince, helbrute, two predator tanks and two basic size squads of rhubric marines. I expected more but I was also pleased that it wasn't too silly.

Together we set terrain up and then rolled for mission, which ended up being Crossfire. We rolled off and I got to pick my deployment zone although we both agreed that we would just keep to where we were standing for ease. I really wanted the first turn as I wanted to try and snipe out his warlord and sorcerers, but as always seems to happen, my opponent won that roll and went first. 

My opponent used this to great advantage. He gunned down one squad of aggressors, and killed two of my three eliminators. This prevented me from dealing with his sorcerers and grabbing a second objective. In response I kept the remaining aggressors out of sight on my own objective and moved everything else forward. Over two turns I did get his warlord by a mixture of bolter fire, one sniper rifle and the plasma incinerator on the dreadnought. After I got home that night I realised that I couldn't have done it as one of his units, a predator, was just slightly closer than his warlord. I messaged my opponent but we agreed that it didn't turn the tide of the game so were still happy with the outcome.

Over turn two and three, my opponent decimated my forces. What rhubrics I did kill, he was able to stand back up again with his Cult of Time special rules. Turn three I was able to bring down the daemon prince in combat with my dreadnought but not before I lost my captain to that foul daemon. I had given up at this point. The dreadnought blew up not long after.

Turn four and five went quickly. At this stage all I had left was one squad of aggressors sat on my objective who had done nothing all game. I simply went through the motions and said they are doing nothing. Game ended with a significant advantage in points to my opponent.





So... how did I feel the match went. Well, for one, my opponent didn't cheat. Not once. There were two things I had to ask him to show me. One was how the All Is Dust rule worked but that was on me as I thought it didn't something else. The other was his relic and again, he was correct on how that worked. I was never going to win but I did feel that the game was better than I had expected because he played it fair and square. For once. Now I can play other people and not him for a long time.

Did I go in with a bit of a defeatist attitude? Yes. I fully admit that but I had my reasons. Most games I can play for fun regardless but this one opponent is guy I don't want to. 

Round 7 I have the bye as we have an odd number of players in the league. That will give me time to get some friendly games in and even a little Crusade.


The scores on the doors. Please not that in my turn 4 I put the hold one objective scores in the wrong box.


My list:



++ Vanguard Detachment -3CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Imperial Fists) [46 PL, 3CP, 980pts] ++


+ HQ +

Primaris Captain [5 PL, 105pts]: Frag & Krak grenades, Iron Resolve, The Burning Blade, Warlord

. Heavy bolt pistol, Master-crafted power sword and Relic shield: Heavy Bolt Pistol, Master-crafted power sword, Relic Shield

+ Elites +

Aggressor Squad [6 PL, 135pts]: 2x Aggressor, Aggressor Sergeant

. Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets/Fragstorm Grenade Launcher: 2x Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets, Fragstorm Grenade Launcher


Aggressor Squad [6 PL, 135pts]: 2x Aggressor, Aggressor Sergeant

. Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets/Fragstorm Grenade Launcher: 2x Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets, Fragstorm Grenade Launcher


Bladeguard Veteran Squad [5 PL, 105pts]

. 2x Bladeguard Veteran: 2x Frag & Krak grenades, 2x Heavy Bolt Pistol, 2x Master-crafted power sword, 2x Storm Shield

. Bladeguard Veteran Sergeant: Frag & Krak grenades, Heavy Bolt Pistol, Master-crafted power sword, Storm Shield


Redemptor Dreadnought [10 PL, 190pts]: 2x Fragstorm Grenade Launchers, Heavy flamer, Icarus Rocket Pod, Macro Plasma Incinerator, Redemptor Fist


+ Fast Attack +

Invader ATV Squad [4 PL, 85pts]

. Invader ATV: Bolt pistol, Multi-melta, Twin auto bolt rifle


Outrider Squad [6 PL, 150pts]

. 2x Outrider: 2x Astartes Chainsword, 2x Frag & Krak grenades, 2x Heavy Bolt Pistol, 2x Twin Bolt rifle

. Outrider Sgt: Astartes Chainsword, Frag & Krak grenades, Heavy Bolt Pistol, Twin Bolt rifle


+ Heavy Support +

Eliminator Squad [4 PL, 75pts]: Bolt sniper rifle

. Eliminator Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Bolt sniper rifle, Camo cloak, Frag & Krak grenades

. 2x Eliminators: 2x Bolt pistol, 2x Camo cloak, 2x Frag & Krak grenades


++ Total: [46 PL, 3CP, 980pts] ++


Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Crusade Battles catchup

 It's been a few weeks since I last updated and in that time I have played a further three Crusade games. I am really enjoying playing C...