Thursday 3 February 2022

GamesHub League 2022 - Game 2

 Last night I played my second round of the GamesHub 40K league. I was wrong last time when I said that my opponent for this round was playing Drukhari. He was in fact playing Craftworld Aeldari (custom Craftworld), and the grey models confused me. Even so that made my predicament worse. I have absolutely no idea how to deal with either of those armies in 40K. They both outfight, outshoot and outmanoeuvre me as space marines. The only saving grace I guess is that at 1000 points on the smaller board, they can't fly around all that much.

List building was a nightmare. I just could not work out a list that I was happy with. I knew that I would have to go heavy on the troop choices and as much as I hate it, combat squad them in order to hold objectives and prevent my units from being overrun all at once. I opted for a small squad of hellblasters as I figured they might be good for anti-infantry and possibly an option for the jetbikes and skimmers that I would be facing. A friend talked me into a redemptor dreadnought even though I feared it would be a fire magnet for all those eldritch heavy weapons I knew my opponent must be taking.


Table set up hurt me a little bit as it hindered my avenues of fire but it balanced out as the Aeldari suffered just as much, or so I thought. We rolled our mission and ended up with Divide and Conqour, a mission that I had not played before which was nice. My opponent got the first turn and I knew I was in trouble. I needed that first turn but it was not to be.

While I remember, my secondary objectives were Domination, Lines of Demarcation and Oaths of Moment. I don't normally bother with the mission specific ones but this time and on a small table Lines of Demarcation seemed like a reasonable one to try.



Oh boy. First turn and I lost nearly half my army to the Aeldari shooting. So much for the terrain hindering him first turn. It really did feel like I was just picking models up off the table and that was my game for the night. On my turn I was forced to run like Hell to try and grab the objectives left and right of the table centre but bad rolls and a crater slowed my movement down and I failed to reach them. The Aeldari would subsequently get to them first and just gun me down under massed fire.

There wasn't much more to this game. He was much faster than me, and through good use of psychic powers, stripped my marines to the bone in three turns. I didn't even get a turn 3. That's how much of a stomping I took. My army was tabled and he lost two dire avengers and a war walker. If it wasn't for the fact that Rich is an awesome opponent, and our games are played with the right banter and fun approach, this could have been a bad bad evening. I went in knowing that this was not going to be my game and I was right.




Due to potential issues in arranging a match, I am playing my third round early - tonight in fact - and it may be my time to win a game if the dice are willing. Keep your fingers, toes and xenos appendages crossed for me.

My opponent was Rich from SprayBlack Studios over on Youtube. I recommend checking his channel out.

This is the list I went with. Wasn't happy with it really even before the game but it was worth trying out.



++ Patrol Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Imperial Fists) [55 PL, 12CP, 973pts] ++


+ HQ +

Primaris Chaplain [5 PL, 85pts]: 2. Catechism of Fire, Absolver Bolt pistol, Crozius arcanum, Frag & Krak grenades, Iron Resolve, Litany of Hate, Purgatorus, Warlord

+ Troops +

Assault Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 100pts]
. 4x Assault Intercessor: 4x Astartes Chainsword, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Heavy Bolt Pistol
. Assault Intercessor Sgt: Astartes Chainsword, Frag & Krak grenades, Plasma pistol

Intercessor Squad [10 PL, 205pts]: Bolt rifle
. 9x Intercessor: 9x Bolt pistol, 9x Frag & Krak grenades
. Intercessor Sergeant: Astartes Chainsword, Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades, Plasma pistol

Intercessor Squad [10 PL, 205pts]: Bolt rifle
. 9x Intercessor: 9x Bolt pistol, 9x Frag & Krak grenades
. Intercessor Sergeant: Astartes Chainsword, Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades, Plasma pistol

+ Elites +

Redemptor Dreadnought [9 PL, 180pts]: 2x Fragstorm Grenade Launchers, Heavy flamer, Heavy Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Icarus Rocket Pod, Redemptor Fist

+ Heavy Support +

Hellblaster Squad [16 PL, 198pts]: Plasma incinerator
. 5x Hellblaster: 5x Bolt pistol, 5x Frag & Krak grenades
. Hellblaster Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades

++ Total: [55 PL, 12CP, 973pts] ++


No comments:

Post a Comment

Crusade Battles catchup

 It's been a few weeks since I last updated and in that time I have played a further three Crusade games. I am really enjoying playing C...