Thursday 22 February 2018

Why I play Death Guard

Over on the Dakka forums someone today has asked why we play the army we do. This was my reply.


From day 1 back in 1987 I played space marines because I loved the lore surrounding them but as the years went on and on I became really fed up with them. Mainly because I felt that the army didn't live up to the fluff and partly because everyone would load up on AP3 or better weapons, and I never felt that I had a good game because of it. Then about five years ago I decided to ditch space marines and go for something that grabbed my attention otherwise and thus began my association with Nurgle. 

I love the necrotic, cancerous look to the Death Guard so I decided to play them. Immediately I found that win or lose I had an army now that i enjoyed painting and playing with. The other element that grabbed me was how I envisage they wage war. It's not bombing the cities from orbit with huge great cannons but deploying huge amounts of biological and bacterial weapons into the atmosphere. Sit back and let it do it's job for a few days before you deploy your troops. The surviving military will put up a fight but they are nothing before the assault. Where I see other traitor legions and warbands just slaughtering their way through I see the Death Guard differently. I see the dying, pestilence-ridden survivours begging for release. I see a plague marine snatch up such an Imperial citizen, corruption spreading from his very touch - flesh turning necrotic as veins of ashen putrification spreads through veins and muscles - and in that few seconds you have the choice to die in wracking pain or give yourself to the plague god, knowing that it's a path you can never come back from. 

That's why I play Death Guard.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Crusade Battles catchup

 It's been a few weeks since I last updated and in that time I have played a further three Crusade games. I am really enjoying playing C...