Saturday 22 April 2017

Ambush Attempt - Tanis IV

Planet: Tanis IV.
Region: Loki Sector.
990.M41

Death Guard vs Crimson Fists
2000 points.
Mission: Capture and Control.

A renowned commander has taken up the mantle of leadership on the ruined world of Tanis IV. Under his command the Crimson Fists may be able to seize control of a location of vital strategic importance. Typhus has ordered one of his lieutenants to stage an ambush and assassinate the space marine commander. The Death Guard lay in wait on the edges of a fallen city while the space marines approach. When the enemy convoy reaches optimal range the order is given and battle is joined.

This match was a club league match against my friend Muffin and his Crimson Fists space marines. Muffin and I have a good 50/50 ratio against one another but he has terrible luck with his dice a lot of the time. With that in mind I was hoping for a nice easy victory to kick start me in the league's first round. However, what happened in this match was the complete opposite.

At the start of the game he had some shocking luck. First move of the game and he immobilized his vindicator in some woods. His techmarine spent the rest of the game trying to fix it and failing ever time. He was successful in grabbing one objective though. My first turn saw me snag the same tactical objective and knock a wound from his captain.

Turn two and he focus fired on my chaos knight and I failed every single 4+ invulnerable save. Muffin burnt it to the ground before it had a chance to do anything. I was gutted but still hopeful that I had a chance. Unfortunately he also knocked out my rhinos leaving me effectively stranded in my own deployment zone. Nurgle was against me it seems as I drew two Death Guard objective cards which didn't help (get three units into his deployment zone and pass 7 FNP rolls in the same phase).

The game turned at this point as I couldn't pass a Feel No Pain roll if I tried. His dice kicked in big time however. When my heldrake flew in it took a wound off a centurion and was then knocked out of the sky by grav cannons all managing that 6 to hit roll. Tactical objectives were not helping as I drew cards which there was no way I was going to be able to manage. By this point Muffin was up to 8 victory points.

Throughout turn 3 and 4 I succeeded in taking down a dreadnought and two units of scouts but that was it. Having that awful corner to corner deployment hurt me going forward once the rhinos were gone. His list was heavy with lascannons which just popped me as I tried to go forward. At the end of turn 4 Muffin was up to 11 victory points and I still only had 1 so I conceded the match.

His dice and objectives deck were working for him perfectly and mine were against me. I'm pleased that he got a win for the league though. Good game but very frustrating for me.

The Crimson Fists convoy deploys quickly once ambushed. 

The heldrake swoops in and then promptly implodes.

Crimson Fists deadnought shortly before taking two melta hits to the face.

Death Guard in morbid silence yet jubilant at the dreadnought's destruction.

The Death Guard deployment.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Crusade Battles catchup

 It's been a few weeks since I last updated and in that time I have played a further three Crusade games. I am really enjoying playing C...