Saturday 25 March 2017

Scorched Earth - Tethys Ultima

Planet: Tethys Ultima.
Region: Ghoul Stars.
Date: 905.M41

Death Guard vs Necrons.
2000 points.
Mission: Scorched Earth.

On a cold dead barren world lost in deep space, the Death Guard have established a secret base from which to launch an attack upon the Imperial worlds of the nearby Dromid sector. Unknown to the sons of Nurgle, Tethys Ultima contains a dark secret. Far below it's windswept surface lies an expansive tomb complex. When construction of the Death Guard fortress disturbs the sleeping Necron forces, the Death Guard find themselves under heavy attack. The initial engagements cause massive damage to the Death Guard defences and their lord commands that if Nurgle cannot have this world then neither shall the Necron horde!

This is mostly likely the first time I have played against Necron under 7th edition and possibly not since the end of 5th edition. As I work through my missions list and Scorched Earth came up I decided to extend the offer of battle to Jon and his almost undefeated Necrons. I certainly have never beaten the machines in my 40K career so this should be a nice challenge.

I went for a fairly basic Death Guard Vectorium list with Heldrake Terror Pack for the aerial support. Jon's list was a Decorion with Judicator Battalion and Destroyer Cult. Maybe something else, my knowledge of Necron formations is a bit limited. Either way, as we deployed I felt somewhat outnumbered. With his reanimation and my feel no pain, this could be a long match.

Mission rules are random objectives (we rolled 3) which are worth 3vp at the end of the match to whomever controls them. Plus you have to roll for any area terrain. On a 1-3 that terrain is on fire causing it to be dangerous terrain. On a 4-6 it is thick with smoke increasing cover saves by 1. Lie of sight cannot be drawn across either of them. This gave the opportunity to hid for the first turn and coupled with my cloud of flies give me decent cover saves.

I set up first with my chaos marines and one terminator squad in transports. Everything else in reserve waiting for a good opportunity to drop in, cause havoc and hopefully seize an objective. Almost all of Jon's army started on the table with a couple flyers in reserve.

First couple turns went quite quickly although my opponent was able to pop one rhino, a helbrute and the land raider. A lost a couple models as did he. On my right flank the game became one of constant close combat as the five lightning claw terminators tore through necron machines and did a good job of making sure they stayed down. On my left flank I worried as there was a large flight of tomb blades bearing down on me.

My terminator lord and his lightning claw terminators teleported in slightly back of where I wanted but they quickly moved up to grab the nearest objective. Even with the amount of firepower his tomb blades were pouring onto them I made nearly every armour save I could, something that never happens with my terminators. Because of that Jon was unable to push them from the objective and soon combat was joined.

The raptors were delayed my a mishap and had to come in the next turn. Their flamers did a little but soon enough they were torn apart by gauss fire and then Jon's lord crushing them. Disappointing as I hoped they would do better. The Heldrakes came in together and managed to do some damage to the tomb blades before their charge into the terminators but then had no choice but to fly off the table. They did very little the rest of the game and eventually both were shot from the sky.

As it hit turn 6 I was locked in combat around two objectives and Jon held the other completely uncontested. I pretty much figured that Necrons had won yet again until it was pointed out that his army did not have objective secured where as my Chaos Warband formation does, so when the game ended I was holding them. I believe that the score was very tight, 6vp to Jon's 5vp (he had linebreaker and first blood).

I am quite frankly amazed that I managed to survive as well as I did. We both made FNP and reanimation as expected but I think that the dice were more in my favour than his. Great game and I look forward to our next match up.

 Death from the skies!

 The Necron control the skies in the end.

The oncoming wall of death. 

Chaos Lord and his bodyguard hold this objective. 

The battlefield of Tethys Ultima.

My list was as follows:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Crusade Battles catchup

 It's been a few weeks since I last updated and in that time I have played a further three Crusade games. I am really enjoying playing C...